Friday, January 3, 2014

My 2014 Goals, Inspired by Ali Cross

Okay, so it's the beginning of a new year. A new calendar year. I've decided to write a few goals down (mostly because I read this post by my good friend Ali Cross, spent at least 30 minutes feeling like a loser, and then decided to make my own--much less impressive--list), and I also decided to share them with all of you. Lucky ducks!

(I actually do a lot of goal-setting in August, when the new school year begins. I live my life from August - July most of the time.)

But anyway, here are some of my publishing and life goals for 2014:
Life: Continue my physical wellness pursuits. I've lost 20 pounds, which is a direct result of my healthy eating and gym attendance. I'm going to continue doing that.

Publishing: Successfully finish edits on RIFT, a YA time travel I'm currently revising for my agent.

Life: Renew my teaching certificate. I kinda have to if I want to keep my job, so...

Publishing: Draft 2 new books. I have one started, but the second? I think I'm going to have to pull up my 30-ideas-in-30-days file and see what I've got in there...

Life: Master 10 recipes for my pressure cooker. I've made a few things now--pot roast and pulled pork--and I think I've got the pulled pork down. It was delicious. The pot roast... not so much. Needs some more work there.

Publishing: Edit/polish 4 already-written novels and prepare them for either submission or self-publishing. Don't be impressed. All 4 novels have been through quite a bit of revision already. Maybe one more round? Maybe two...

So those are the goals. I think they're pretty do-able. I also have a couple of marketing strategies. I've been sort of, I don't know, burned out (?) on marketing in the past several months. I'm honestly just not sure what works and what doesn't, and I'd rather spend my time writing. Thus--

Marketing Strategy #1: Write and publish more books. 

That's it. I'm not worried about posting on Facebook or twitter or tumblr a certain amount of time or every day. I'm looking to be more spontaneous and authentic.

So I'm going to spend my time writing, polishing, and publishing more books. Right now, I only have one scheduled (ELEVATED, February 18), but I may put out another one in the fall.

Marketing Strategy #2: Post entire works and excerpts on Wattpad.

Possession is already there, and I'm going to be uploading part of both SURRENDER and ELEVATED, as well as a new fantasy.

Marketing Strategy #3: Use my established newsletter.

I checked, and yeah. Not a good year in 2013. I think I sent 4 newsletters--the last one in June. So I'm going to try to be better about doing the newsletter thing, but I'm not going to go crazy. I'm thinking quarterly is a good start. I've already done the redesign, and the first newsletter went out yesterday.

And that's it. I hope to have a couple of books out this year, maybe some news of a deal (fingers crossed!), and most of all, a renewed enthusiasm to be an author in 2014!

Did you post goals for 2014? I'd love to go visit your blog and see them, so link me up in the comments!

17 comments:

Suzie F. said...

Well done on your physical wellness pursuits! Those sound like manageable goals and I'm sure you will reach them. My one and only goal this year is to finish the first draft of my WIP that I've been working on far too long.

Wishing you much success and happiness in 2014, Elana!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like awesome goals. Your goal to lose weight has been inspiring me. I'm just starting on my goals now that we finished our ice cream cake.

My goals are much smaller this year. I hope to write regularly (started this), blog less to free up time, take online courses for my job search later this year when I'm laid off, help my daughter with college and scholarship searches and be swim mom to the high school swim team in the Fall. And work till I'm laid off.

My first post of the year will be Monday when I interview Sara Larsen. I'd love for you to stop by. http://literaryrambles.com

Happy New Year!

Judith Mercado said...

Those are great goals. I always view as inspirational how you manage all the various aspects of your life. My goals/intentions for the new year are best expressed in my New Year's Day post.

http://judithmercadoauthor.blogspot.com/2013/12/in-coming-year.html

Have a wonderful year!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Good job with the healthy stuff, Elana. Hubby and I are working on that too. I've even got him using a food diary.

Marketing. Gah. I'm not doing all I could do (probably because I don't know what to do), but I'm learning and working on the next books.

Writing a newsletter scares me to death! lol

Jemi Fraser said...

I posted wishes not goals and not quite the same thing. I've got 4 novels that need to be revised/rewritten/polished... Hope to get that done. Good luck with your goals! (I didn't realize you had to renew teaching certificates - we don't have that here)

Nissa Annakindt said...

Good luck with your goals! My goal this year is to shake up my writing life by trying a different genre (mystery). I blogged about it here: http://linalamont.blogspot.com/2014/01/new-year-new-fiction-genre.html

Nissa

Jessie Humphries said...

If you don't think these goals are impressive than I don't even want to go to Ali Cross's blog! Way to go on your wellness health stuff. 20 pounds!? That's amazin'! I love your guts, Elana Johnson. And yes, I have set some unrealistic goals for myself as you may or may not remember. But come visit my blog today where I video interview Melanie Jacobson from a hot tub. ;)

Nicole said...

These are great goals (and Ali's were too!). Mine are posted on my blog: http://nicole-singer.blogspot.com/. 2014 is shaping up to be quite the year.

Stephsco said...

I'm curious on Wattpad, I don't know much about it. I thought it was related to fanfiction (see, clearly I have no idea) or original unpublished stories, so I had no idea published works could go up there too.

I like what you said about focusing less on social media and more on writing. There is a definite balance there. I think, to an extent, there is only so much you can do in social media before it starts feeling like a chore and you aren't actually reaching new people. Your blog was one of the first writing/author blogs I read when I started my writing journey three years ago. I've been consistently impressed by all you do--promo, Write On Con. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

You've set some great goals. AWESOME job on losing 20 lbs!

amberargyle said...

Best article on marketing I've ever read:
http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/if-you-dont-enjoy-marketing-youre-doing-it-wrong/
I don't know how much of it you can do because you're trad . . .

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I'm glad we do the new year thang. It makes us all reflect and/or regroup. I have personal goals, which I keep private. But I also have writing and life goals that, for the past three years, I've posted in a writer's creed. I encourage others to join me. Last year I had 99 other writers commit. This year ... well, we'll see. I just release the new creed today!

Happy New Year, Elana!

Patti said...

I just have one written down. Everything else is kind of predicated on it, but there will be more goals to come.

Emily R. King said...

You blow me away, Elana. If it's true that a failure to plan is a plan to fail, I'd say the opposite applies as well. Best of luck in 2014!

Leslie S. Rose said...

I'd better check my credential. I'm terrible remembering when it needs re-upping. Got my TB test over vacation. Love the balance of your goals. Super congrats with the health and weight loss.

Taffy said...

Great goals! I know you can do it.

Unknown said...

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks Obat Kanker Ginjal - Obat Asam Urat

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget