Monday, May 18, 2015

You Can Do Better

Okay, so this past weekend I attended the LDStorymakers conference in Utah. I've been on the committee for this awesome con for a few years now, but this past weekend I really focused on attending the classes.

The several I got to attend were fantastic, and I have some great notes to help me in my writing. But I attended one workshop called "Deep Editing" by an amazing author and mentor Margie Lawson. Not only did I come away with many devices and revision ideas, but I wrote in my notes, in all caps, YOU CAN DO BETTER.




I think this is something that we struggle with as authors, especially if we've achieved some success. We fall into patterns of our writing, thinking it's "good enough," because it's worked before. So it was not only a fantastic class with information I needed to take my writing to the next level, but also a little pep talk for myself.

I really can do better. And I'm going to work on doing just that!

What are you working on in your writing right now?

4 comments:

Angela Brown said...

I'm with you on knowing I need to and CAN do better.
I'm working through some bothersome doubts about ending a trilogy that I'm not sure I want to end but it's only right to finish it for the readers, and dealing with the "second book blues" of another trilogy I'm working. Le sigh

Jessica Payne said...

YES! That session was amazing. If I can implement even just a fraction of what I learned my writing will go up 900 levels. I can do better too :-).

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Loved Margie's intensive, too. Worked on my BANISHED copy-edits in the car driving home yesterday and found myself rewriting a bunch! Unfortunately, it's due in three days, 400 pages, and alas, I'll have to forgo the rewriting and just make Book #3 of the trilogy better!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I have heard SO MANY good things about this conference. I hope that I can attend some day, even though I live way out in Pennsylvania.

What I'm working on in my writing is NOT giving up and throwing in the towel on a WIP just because it's not coming easily. Just because it's hard. And there are huge plot holes. And I'm not sure why one character has POV over another.

I know I can do better. Maybe I have to step up my game to make this darn thing work.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget