Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Go The Distance

Okay, I went to a junior high orchestra concert the other night. First, let me just say that there's nothing like live music. It soothes the soul. Makes one realize that there's more to life than, oh, say the Internet.

It was beautiful. One of my husband's former students plays the cello, and that's why we went. It was fun to see him up there, making something magical.

But I digress. The last song they played was from the movie Hercules. Go the Distance.



Seriously, a Disney movie song?

Yeah, okay, it pretty much reduced me to tears.

Not because it was brilliantly arranged or performed. In fact, other pieces were more moving. Yet I wasn't all misty-eyed.

I was emotional because of the message of the song. As soon as I got home, I looked up the lyrics (cuz even though the Disney Channel is a staple around here, I don't have the words memorized. Believe it.)


I can go the distance
I will find my way
If I can be strong
I know ev'ry mile
Will be worth my while
When I go the distance
I'll be right where I belong


I love those words. They are so true for me and my publishing journey.

What do you think? When you go the distance, will you be right where you belong? Is every mile worth your while?

I think I will be. And I think it is.

29 comments:

Hardygirl said...

Whew! Needed a pep talk this morning. It's slow-going over here with revisions.

sf

Christine Fonseca said...

Oh yah...for me the journey is everything. Of course I would like to be published...but it is everything I am learning - the friendships I am making - everything, that makes all the difference.

Northwriter said...

Yes, every mile is worth my while in this incredible journey.
It's like running a marathon. You can't skip any of the miles. The first is just as important as the last, that is, if there ever is a last mile.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I just watched this movie yesterday with my daughter. I like that song. :)

Every mile is worth my while, for sure. Even the one I'm currently on.

Anonymous said...

Everytime I hear that song, I weep. There's more than just the win at the end, there's the plight and the struggle and the music itself gathers to end in that bittersweet, well-won victory.

I'm glad you see your journey in that. It bears all good things.

Unknown said...

It also reminds me to enjoy the journey rather than only focusing on the destination - and it's been an amazing journey so far. :)

Susan R. Mills said...

Great post! I'd never thought about the words in that song. They definitely ring true.

Windy said...

I'm such a sucker for Disney songs. So many of them have this similar message. Thanks for the encouragement today!

cleemckenzie said...

Love those filled-with-determination-and-hope kind of songs. I'd be teary too, and, yes, I plan to go the distance.

Unknown said...

The journey is always worth every step! Sometimes it's just harder to see that. The reminders are always appreciated! :)

Scott said...

YES!

Teri said...

I guess I'll have to see the movie now! Lovely words. Thanks!

Unknown said...

oddly enough that is one of my favorite movies! And what a great song :)

Jessica Nelson said...

Yeah, I think every mile is worth it for me. And wherever I am at the moment is where I hope God wants me to be. :-)

Tere Kirkland said...

Every mile is worth my while... This will be my mantra!

I'm learning that I need to keep working to hone my skills, and to remember that it'll all be worth it in the end!

XiXi said...

I love Hercules, and that song always makes me cry.

Fav Disney movie, for sure. I mean, how can you beat gospel muses?

Anonymous said...

I love those words! "Go the Distance!" I ran a few 10K races, and it feels good to complete the distance.

Secretia

Michelle McLean said...

I think so too :) And by the way, several songs in that movie reduce me to tears :D But that might just be me ;-D

Elana Johnson said...

Phew. At least I'm not the only one sniffling through an animated movie! :)

lisa and laura said...

Every mile will be worth my while?? PERFECT. I need someone to stitch that on my pillow or something.

Kathy McIntosh said...

Given my struggle to finish my current WIP, this is perfect. I'm going to add the movie to my list to watch when I'm down.
(I sniff, too, animated or not!)

Unknown said...

Funny, I was thinking Beck.

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

That's my favorite Disney movie.
:-)

I hope I'm where I belong at the end of this journey. The vision of what I truly want keeps changing.

Yikes.

storyqueen said...

I love this song!

And I kind of need it right now.....


Shelley

PJ Hoover said...

OMG, totally! And I mist up at stuff like this all the time. I love finding messages that help me stay on track.

Bish Denham said...

Wonderful words. No matter where I go, here I am. And yes, every step is worth it.

Anonymous said...

That is a good motto, "every mile worth the while"

Carolyn V. said...

I hope so!

Jean Oram said...

I hope so too. The path getting there sure has been fun!

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget