Thursday, June 27, 2013

THIS IS W.A.R. by Lisa and Laura Roecker

Okay, so today's Bookanista post is for one of my favorite reads so far this year. THIS IS W.A.R. by Lisa and Laura Roecker will knock your socks off!


About THIS IS W.A.R.: This is not a story of forgiveness...

The mystery of their best friend's murder drives four girls to destroy the Gregory family. Emily Thorne would be proud.

Everyone at Hawthorne Lake Country Club saw Willa Ames-Rowan climb into a boat with James Gregory, the Club’s heir apparent.

And everyone at Hawthorne Lake Country Club watched him return. Alone.

They all know he killed her. But none of them will say a word. The Gregory family is very, very good at making problems go away.

Enter the W.A.R.—the war to avenge Willa Ames-Rowan. Four girls. Four very different motives for justice and revenge, and only one rule: destroy the Gregory family at any cost.

I really liked this mystery from Lisa & Laura. I've enjoyed their mysteries before, but this one had so many more layers in it that I found intriguing. Maybe because of the multiple narrators? I don't know. But I really enjoyed reading THIS IS W.A.R. and trying to figure out who did what, and when.

The plotting was masterful. Details were revealed right when they needed to be, and not a second sooner. I think my favorite character was Sloan, because she just wanted to do what was best for everyone, but that's hard for her. (No spoilers, but she's a great character -- doesn't fit any of the stereotypes.)

I liked the dynamics of the girls. One of them, Rose, doesn't quite fit in the social hierarchy, but Lisa & Laura made her essential. And that fact that she doesn't belong added one of those layers I was talking about. This little detail gave the book a sense of depth that I really enjoyed.

If you like a good mystery with some (a little, I promise!) YA angst, and fabulous characterization, you'll like THIS IS W.A.R. Be sure to pre-order your copy, because this book doesn't come out until July 2!

Check out what the other Bookanistas are talking about today:

6 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

I've read only the opening. Really looking forward to this one!

Angela Brown said...

Ooohh, the powerful family that needs to be dealt with...finally. Talk about some serious motive to bring justice about for a friend. Sounds like a great read.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I'm *really* looking forward to L&L's new book!

Stasia said...

I am beyond jealous that you've had the chance to read this already!

Little Ms J said...

Pre-ordered!

Stephsco said...

Looking forward to this one.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget