Friday, September 4, 2015

Fitting Work Into Life

Okay, so I've been MIA around the blog and blogosphere for a few weeks. Can I just say that teaching is really kicking my trash this year? I don't know if it's because I'm getting older (cough, cough). Or because I'm teaching an extra class this year. Or because all my classes are pretty large (35+).

But when I get home from work, I am T-I-R-E-D. I basically stare at the TV, or lose myself in mindless Kindle games until I'm completely zoned out. I might be able to get on Instagram and double-tap a few times. Sometimes I run through my Facebook groups and hit like. But there's no way to stay caught up, and I barely have the energy to make dinner let alone all this other stuff.

It has been hard fitting work into my life! I feel like this at the end of every summer, so I know I'll survive, but this feels like it's taking longer to settle into a routine. My creativity is completely shot, and I haven't been able to work much on my writing, and I'd like that to change too.

Any tips for how to avoid the staring and mindless games?? I'm all ears.

3 comments:

Angela Brown said...

I'm a little short on tips, but I suppose it's understandable that this is happening. Body, mind, and creative juices have to get re-acclimates to a new routine. Sometimes you need those times of mindless staring at the TV.

Oh, maybe colorful Post it notes can help. They tend to help me refocus my mind on the topics I write on them.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

One thing I used to do is designate ONE night for writing and save up all my creative energy for that one push. I started hosting a session of The Practice Room, and the 90 minutes before our online chat was THE WEEKLY time for me to write. I usually had no trouble, because I'd been saving it up all week -- even avoiding the urge to write on other days because I was saving it for the designated time.

I originally hosted on Thursday nights, but that didn't work for two reasons: a) Participants were cheating and watching The Big Bang Theory instead and b) My husband travels for work and often comes home on Thursday evenings -- and turns out he appreciates my attention when he gets home.

So it migrated to Mondays. Yeah, I know. Monday. But I still host TPR every Monday night and you are MORE THAN WELCOME to join us!

Elana Johnson said...

Thank you, Dianne! I think I will! I used to participate in TPR all the time, and I haven't been over there forever!! xoxo

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget