Monday, September 28, 2015

Writing on Empty

Okay, so this has been one of the roughest starts to a school year I've had. For a few weeks there, I literally came home and stared at a screen. TV. Kindle. Didn't matter. I had no creative juices inside. I was literally empty.


I didn't write. I have things I wanted to write, but I couldn't force myself to do it. I shouldn't have to force myself to do it.

Well, about a month into school, I started to feel human again. And that's when I realized that I can't write on empty. I also realized that I could write on nearly empty, and the more I did that, the fuller my tank became.

It was weird. I would think that the more I expend, the less I have, but with writing, it's the opposite for me. Writing rejuvenates me, but I have to be in a certain place to even get the document open. I'm happy to be back writing again, being able to manage my time and my stress to be able to do that.

Do you get filled when you write? Are you empty or full right now?

7 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

That's a perfect analogy. The opposite happens to me, too. The key is to find that inner ignition despite feeling so creatively empty. Not always easy. Just another element of being a writer we have to live with. (Glad you're writing!)

Christine Danek said...

Yes. This. I've been empty and the writing has been slow to none. It's frustrating. I'm starting to get back into it and it feels great. Glad you're writing again!

Christine Danek said...

Yes. This. I've been empty and the writing has been slow to none. It's frustrating. I'm starting to get back into it and it feels great. Glad you're writing again!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel! Writing can be extremely energizing for me, but I have to have something to give. Sometimes just reading for a few weeks can recharge me. :)

Angela Brown said...

I spent much of the first half of the year on empty. But during this summer, things kicked into gear and I've been chuggling along - with the occasional bumps here and there. But I can understand where you're coming from.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm there right now, trying to figure out my life again after so many life changes. Sometimes you just have to ride through the journey to get to the other side.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

We are so often told: Writers write every day. Period. If you are a serious writer, put your butt in the chair and do it.

Which makes us feel guilty when we can't.

I think it's terrible advice. Who needs one more thing telling us "we're not good enough?"

I am happiest when I am working on a story I love, but there are times when I don't have it in me. My creativity gauge is pointing at empty. Even now that I've quit teaching full time, there are plenty of other things taking up my time: teenage daughters, I signed on to teach a couple of community ed classes, SOMEBODY has to clean the house now that we let our cleaning service go to save money, family deaths and family weddings ...

I think it's okay if you don't write every day, or even if you take a whole month off. You have to give that tank time to refill.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget