Thursday, April 17, 2008

Units of Time

Status of my Life: Just got back in from out of town. Made some good progress on the outlining of one of my stories, and thought of some other ideas for another story. This is a good thing. My mind had been stuck for a couple of days, so the mini-vaca was nice, and I feel semi-normal again. Currently working on ELITE.

So I was home alone last week while my husband attended a math convention. About A Boy was on TV. I forgot how much I love that movie! Maybe it's just Hugh Grant, but I think the movie is awesome.

My life in divided into units of time. 2 units eating. 4 units teaching. 3 units driving my kids around. 1 unit watching reality TV. All other units writing.

I do spend some of my units of time reading books. Quite a lot actually. Over the past couple of days, I realized how much. My SIL asked "When do you have time to read?" She never reads because she doesn't have the time. My answer is, "I make the time."

Just like I make the time to write and exercise (okay, that's way at the bottom of the list! :) ), I make the time to read. I love to read. I read two books while I was gone. One was really, really bad writing. I won't name it here. I almost put it away in disgust, but then my husband said something that struck me. He said you need to read the bad stuff too, so you know what you DON'T want to write like. So I read it. It was painful and I felt like I wasted my time.

Then I read another book that started slow for me, but in the end I loved it. It's written in present tense, which I kind of like, and is a perfect YA book. The protag doesn't speak so it's mostly narrative, and very well-done at that. It's listed below.

Reading: SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson

Making Time,
RedDuck

2 comments:

J. Lea Lopez said...

SPEAK is a great book! I actually saw the movie on Lifetime first (my guilty pleasure...haha. Then quite a while later I picked up the book, not realizing it was the one the movie was based on until I started reading and was like "Hmm, I feel like I've read this before..." But yeah. I liked it. Great concept.

Anonymous said...

There's a movie?! Okay, gonna go check that out!

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget