Friday, October 10, 2008

TGIF

I'm tired. I actually worked four days this week. I mean, dude. That's one more than I've worked the past two weeks. Who knew going to work on Friday could be so exhausting? Holy brown cows, I need some bubble gum. I'd really like some Oreos, but I snarfed all of those last night. After parent-teacher conferences. While watching The Office. Life does have perks.

No, I haven't had a week full of Batman-drama. There's only so much a girl can take. This week has been more like "Kids say the funniest things" week. My own kids are crazy, but I'm blaming that gene on their dad. Seriously, I think the guy must have been on medication while we were dating, because I had no idea how Crazy he was until it was too late. And that's Crazy with a capital C.

So my daughter says today, "Here's my turtle's shelf," and she points to this turtle she made at daycare. It's pretty cute, made with a paper bowl or something. (Precisely the reason I DON'T teach preschool or kindergarten.) I said, "You mean his shellllll." She goes, "No, his shelf. He holds stuff up there." I was about to ask what kind of stuff, and really drive home my point that it was really called a shell and not a shelf, but you can't argue with a three-year-old. So I smiled and listened to her babble about the "shelf" all the way home and what kinds of things this poor shelf-ridden turtle could hold. Then she made me carry him in the house because "he's too heavy." It was a PAPER bowl. Yes, I carried it, cuz I'm that kind of mom.

Yesterday, one of the kids at school asked me, "Mrs. Johnson, can we have a piece of your soul?" This actually has a pretty good story that I won't share right now, but it just made me laugh out loud. Because we were walking down the hall when he asked, and a first grader and her parents were going the other way. You should have seen the look on the mom's face. I swear she pulled her daughter closer. Yeah, we're giving away souls in elementary schools now. Whatev.

So, with all the soul-sharing, shelf-carrying I've done, I'm ready for a nap. At least it's Friday. And next week I only have to work two days. Nice. I love Fall Break.

P.S. Rice doesn't cook so well in crock pot. In case any of you were wondering and wouldn't be able to sleep tonight without knowing this very important fact. Oh, and you should probably test ye olde crock pot out before volunteering to bring said rice to a faculty pot-luck lunch. 'Nuff said.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I just love it when people say "ye olde ____" I know, it's crazy, but I think it's an awesome thing to say, so I just had to say thank you for making me smile. :)

Sorry for the crockpot/rice . . . incident? I hate when that happens.

jess said...

um, rice in a crock pot? dude!

i started a cooking blog. no recipes yet, but there will BE SOME I PROMISE. and i'm going to include a rice recipe JUST FOR YOU.

seriously. rice in a crock pot? LOL

Anonymous said...

Jess, I know! I'm cooking-impaired. I totally need a cooking blog with new recipes. Send me the link when you have it up. :)

At least you got a laugh, right?

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget