Thursday, April 21, 2011

THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES by Carrie Ryan

Okay, so THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES is pretty much one of the first series I've finished since Harry Potter. No lie. I think I outlined my feelings about sequels and series in another post. Generally, they're not my favorite, because there's so many books out there waiting to be read. I want to get to know as many people as possible, and I generally don't have time for a series.

However, THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES is a little bit different. It's a companion novel to THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH and THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES, all by the magnificent Carrie Ryan. I enjoy companion novels much more. There are new people to fall in love with.

And this one has one of my favorites: Catcher.

But first, a little blurb about THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES: There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.

Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different than the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again.

But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah: can she continue to live in a world covered in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?


There are many things I like about this series, this book. The first is the writing. Carrie Ryan is a master of present tense, and I decided to try my hand at it after reading her work.

Second, I love the complex relationships Annah has with her sister, with Elias, and with Catcher. They feel messy and imperfect, and very very human. I like that a lot.

If you haven't read this series, you must add it to your list! Start with THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH and just try not to fall in love. I double-zombie-dare-ya.

Remember! I'm giving away a signed copy of this book (along with MATCHED and POSSESSION) in conjunction with the Bookanistas Give Back. Click here for details on that.


Check out what the other Bookanistas are up to this week at the Reading Room.

Or on their blogs:

23 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Oh if you read the whole series, it must be good. I only read the first one so I'll have to read the rest.

Brigitte said...

I loved The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Carrie Ryan made zombies seem beautiful and scary at the same time.
I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series, soon.

Matthew MacNish said...

Uh oh. I normally can't stand present tense. I have such an easier time believing something happened than believing something is happening. Like right now.

On the other hand, I've heard so many wonderful things about these books, and there isn't much I love more than a zombie horde, so I will definitely be reading these eventually.

Carrie Harris said...

I give two thumbs up to zombie books written by people named Carrie. ;)

Sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Kelley York said...

I love, love, LOVE these books. I finished THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES in two days, and I just ran out to get THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES and will devour it soon, too.

Theresa Milstein said...

I know this has rave reviews, but zombies freak me out. Because of my squeamishness, I haven't read the first one.

While I'm not as anti-series as you, if I read a first book and it doesn't get me excited for future books, I won't bother. I liked Evermore, but haven't picked up the other ones. I will read the sequel to Hex Hall, Paranormalcy, Across the Universe, and if there happens to be a sequel to Possession....

Jessi said...

This one's been on my list for a while, but now that you just said she's a master at present tense, it's gonna have to get bumped up, as I'm trying my hand at that next!

Liz said...

I just finished this one a few days ago. I LOVED all three of the books, but I think this was my fav!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

How impressive that you'd want to try present tense. How did it work out?

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Renae said...

I've read the first two and this one is on my list! Sounds amazing!

Heather said...

I just finished DEAD TOSSED WAVES last night and my heavens I love that book. She's not only a master at present tense but also suspense. She knows how to drag it out just enough so you find yourself biting your nails! Can't wait to read DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES!

Tracey Neithercott said...

I loved The Forrest of Hands and Teeth. I haven't read the other books yet, mainly because, like you said, there are so many books in my TBR pile!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Loved this series. I definitely need to add them to my collection. They were all such great books. :)

Heather said...

*shivers* This sounds chilling! I have GOT to read this series! I'm behind, I know. ;)

Krispy said...

I liked Forest of Hands and Teeth, but I haven't read Dead Tossed Waves or this one yet. Looks like I'll have to now! Didn't know this one was a companion book though!

Kathryn Rose said...

I can't wait to read this series. I didn't know they were companion pieces instead of sequels! I LOVE companion pieces! Thanks for the review, Elana!

Deana said...

Just finished this book...loved it in a raw, real, sort of love/hate kinda way. I literally balled my eyes out when (Spoiler) Catcher talked about the little boy he tried to save. All her books have been that way for me. So good!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Oh man, Carrie's books are so INTENSE. I haven't read her latest one yet, but I need to! Great review, Elana, and awesome giveaway!

Jeff King said...

Great review, and awesome giveaway... I have not heard of this book, but sounds like I'll have to give it a read.

Stephsco said...

I was on the fence about reading the second book, but I'm glad I did. I liked the story and felt like it was a put together a little more cohesively than the first book; although I liked having the backstory from Forest for the context of Dead Tossed Waves. I devoured the second book in like 2 days. It's haunting, introspective and exciting, somehow, all at the same time.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've had this series on my wishlist forever - I'll have to bump it up! :)

We Heart YA said...

I hadn't read THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH until a good friend urged me to, and I'm so glad that I did. After going to see Carrie Ryan at a signing, I was even more in love...am reading DEAD TOSSED WAVES right now, and would love to win a signed copy of THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES.

Hannah Bailey said...

The ending was still left open ended to a certain degree, but there was hope, not necessarily the human race, but at least for the characters left. I can't wait to read more by Ryan!

Hannah
One Hour Device

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget