Thursday, April 28, 2011

THE THIRD by Abel Keogh

Today I'm talking about THE THIRD by Abel Keogh. This kind of book is totally out of the norm for me. Why? Because it's not YA.

*gasp*

I know, right?

But it *is* dystopian, and it centers around something a lot of people have some sort of feeling about: How many children a family should have.

Both of those things brought the teeter-totter over to my "It's totally okay to read an adult novel," side of the spectrum.


Before I go any further, here's a little bit about THE THIRD: When Ransom Lawe, a recycler in the Pacific Northwest, finds out his wife is pregnant with their third—-and therefore illegal—-child, he’s forced to choose between the government who proclaims a desire to save the planet and his hope for a place where his family can live in freedom. But with the Census Bureau Sentinels closing in on his wife and unborn child, Ransom’s choice will either save his family or tear them apart forever.

So, see, who can resist that? I couldn't. I enjoyed the story, the writing was fantastic, but the best part were the characters. I liked Ransom and his wife, Teya, just fine. They seemed like real people, with real problems that a reader can connect to.

But the character I found the most fascinating was Teya's sister, Mona. Mona worked for the government. She upheld all the laws, all the rules, and was adamant about keeping her reproductive credit, even when it could've saved her sister.

Yet she had something that was against the law. And she shared it with Ransom and Teya. This twist, this character "flaw," if you will, fascinated me. I wanted to know more about Mona's story, more about her background, more about how she did this illegal thing and A) kept it a secret and B) didn't view it the same as she did other points in the law.

That's when I fell in love with the book. When I see characters that seem completely black and white, turn gray. I love that.

So check out Abel Keogh's website to read the first chapter for free, and pick up a copy of THE THIRD. If you like dystopian fiction with a lot of action and high emotional stakes, you'll like this.

Reminder: My Tag, You're It contest ends today! Check it out if you haven't already.


Don’t forget to stop by Myra McEntire’s blog for more awesome info on our first Bookanistas Give Back project. The giveaways end on April 30.

Check out what the other Bookanistas are up to this week at the Reading Room.

Or on their blogs:

24 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Because of China's one-child policy along with several religions' no birth control policy, I've found the subject fascinating too. And I also find people's gray lines interesting too. We all have one.

I'm going to look this one up. Thanks!

I'm also going to check out the Demonglass review since I'm about to read it.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Shocked you read an adult book. Just kidding. Sadly I have no time because I really need to read some MG as well as YA. But for the same reason as Theresa, I find this interesting. Especially since we adopted from China.

Stina said...

LOL I didn't know there was dystopian outside of YA. Wow. Who knew.

Still perfer mine in the YA form. :D

Matthew MacNish said...

Awesome premise.

WritingNut said...

This sounds really cool... I'm in love with YA, but I think I just might check this one out :)

Jessi said...

Love the idea of this book, but what I love even more are characters who live in the grey zone, like you said. Sounds like a great one!

Deana said...

I'm usually a straight forward YA reader too, but I must say you made this sound interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Summer Frey said...

Sounds great! I'm kinda the opposite of some of the other comments--I'm usually a straightforward adult reader, with only an occasional YA thrown in. :)

Ishta Mercurio said...

You read an ADULT BOOK, Elana? I am SHOCKED. ;-) LOL.

The premise does sound good - and I like what you said about Mona. I'll have to look for this one. (Just when I thought my TBR pile was actually shrinking...) Thanks for the recommendation!

Jo Schaffer said...

I read mostly adult fiction-- this one sounds kinda cool. (=

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I'm so glad you did this review! The book sounds awesome, and I am totally buying it! :-)

Jennifer said...

Sounds like something I would like. Thanks for sharing this review I am going to hop over and grab my copy to add to my ever growing reading pile!

Abel Keogh said...

Elana,

I'm so glad you liked Mona! When writing the book I struggled with her character until I added those shades of gray you taked about. Once I did that, she just flowed off the pages.

Thanks for giving The Third a chance--even it isn't YA. I'm glad you liked it. :-)

I'll have to say Hi to you at Storymakers.

Abel

Angela Kulig said...

OK, now I really must read it. I actually looked at it yesterday while on a serious e-book buying binge. (It happens at least every couple of weeks) Amazon recommended it to me- I was completely crestfallen to see there was no e-book version of the book! I have to stomach sometimes when there is no no e-book of YA and MG books because they believe not enough of their intend audience has e-readers, but this book is an *adult* book.

Author, I see you commented. I bet it's because Elana is AWESOME, did you retain your e-rights?

Angela Kulig said...

OK, scratch that. I just found it via link on the authors website. The two are not connected on Amazon? Like I should be able to check the other formats but it doesn't let me do it. So WEIRD

Elana Johnson said...

I'm glad you found it, Angela! Because it is available on the Kindle.

Abel, Storymakers is going to be awesome!

And yeah, pick your jaws up about the whole adult novel thing. ;)

Krispy said...

The premise is very interesting, but it's what you said about this Mona character that hooked me. Here's another for the TBR pile, but hey, one of my goals for this year was to read more "grown-up" books. ;)

Tracey Neithercott said...

That sounds great. I mean, I love dystopians anyway, though now that I think about it I haven't read too many adult ones. I'm definitely adding this to my to-read list.

Lindsay said...

It sounds great. Drat. I swear my TBR pile is going to topple over and crush me in my sleep. Oh well. *adds it to the pile* :)

Melody said...

Definitely putting this on my TBR list! :) Thanks, Elana!

amberargyle said...

I really need to post my review for this book too. Thanks for reminding me.

Jeff King said...

I'll give it a once over... it sounds like a good read, thx for the review.

erica and christy said...

Wow, great review!

I just received a book in the mail, but since I'm super busy and didn't have time to read it this week, but KNEW it needed to be read - I passed it on to a voracious teenage reader I know. The book (ARC)? Possession by Elana Johnson. :)
erica
(I swear I'll read it next week! Can't wait!)

Elizabeth Holloway said...

That book sounds perfect for my 10-year-old, gifted son. I think I'll pick it up for him. If I don't win it, that is.

Elana, your son sounds awesome. He must have the writers gene.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget