Monday, May 14, 2012

IN HONOR by Jessi Kirby

Okay, so here we are with another fabulous book you need to add to your list. Heck, don't add it, go buy it! I guarantee you won't regret it.

And Jessi's here today to tell us a bit more about her sophomore novel, IN HONOR. *fangirl scream*

The Twitter version: tell us about your book in 140 characters or less: 
Road trip inspired by a mistaken last request, from Texas to California, with a hot cowboy in a 1967 Chevy Impala. (See? Go. Buy. Win! I mean, she had me at "cowboy".)

Have you always wanted to be a writer? 
Ever since 3rd grade and my first Judy Blume book!

What made you decide to go that “extra step” and seek publication? 
I’d spent long enough dreaming about being a published writer and then actually finishing a book, it was the next logical leap to go for it and see what happened.

Quick! You’ve been chosen to go on Survivor. What luxury item do you take? 
Chapstick. I can’t get along without it in normal, everyday life, so I’d definitely have to have it on Survivor.

And the most important of all: bacon or chocolate? 
Bacon. All. The. Way. (Aw, she's just saying that...)


About IN HONOR: Honor receives her brother’s last letter from Iraq three days after learning that he died, and opens it the day his fellow Marines lay the flag over his casket. 

Its contents are a complete shock: concert tickets to see Kyra Kelly, her favorite pop star and Finn's celebrity crush. In his letter, he jokingly charged Honor with the task of telling Kyra Kelly that he was in love with her. 

Grief-stricken and determined to grant Finn's last request, she rushes to leave immediately. But she only gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn's best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn't seen him in ages, thanks to a falling out between the two guys, but Rusty is much the same as Honor remembers him: arrogant, stubborn. . . and ruggedly good looking. Neither one is what the other would ever look for in a road trip partner, but the two of them set off together, on a voyage that makes sense only because it doesn’t. 

Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn--but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?

I'm a huge fan of Jessi's, because MOONGLASS was one of my favorite novels of 2011. IN HONOR is another brilliant novel, and I can only hope to write as well as Jessi one day.



She's made me a lover of contemporary fiction. What are some of your favorite genres?

11 comments:

Stina said...

Oops! I forgot I want to read Moonglass, and In Honor sounds great. Looks like I know what I'll be using my mother's day gift on ... once I've put a dent in my TBR pile. :D

Natalie Aguirre said...

In Honor sounds like a great book. I love that it's a trip from Texas to California. Thanks for spotlighting it.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Sounds great. I love most genres

Jemi Fraser said...

This sounds completely awesome! Thanks for the tip.

I read a ton of genres in a bunch of age categories - my TBR list is nightmarish!!!

Matthew MacNish said...

I don't normally get into contemporary novels much, but you make this sound pretty good.

Matthew MacNish said...

I don't normally get into contemporary novels much, but you make this sound pretty good.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Great feature, Elana! I really need to read both of these books. :)

Ruth Josse said...

Uh, she had me at cowboy too. What is it about those boys? Thanks for the reco!

Lisa_Gibson said...

Wow, sounds fabulous. Definitely add this and MOONGLASS to my books to get.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Shallee said...

Sounds like a fun and emotional contemporary! I don't have a specific genre that I stick to reading-wise. If the premise/characters sound interesting, I'll pick it up! Thanks for sharing this one.

Anonymous said...


I have this same problem. My husband and I were the perfect couple at first. We clicked right away and the chemistry was just crazy. But reality kicked in real soon and we started arguing a lot. Until now get into heavy arguments, where none of us is really listening and always out talk each other, until one day my husband left me it was like a dream, i beg and apologize for everything, he refuse for 1 year and 3 month, until i meet a man call doctor MACK online who is a great spell caster he cast a spell for me and told me that my husband will come back in 48 hours to beg me to come home, to my greatest surprise my husband come after 2 days of the spell and told me he is sorry, am so happy that i meet doctor MACK, if you need his help contact him on “DR_MACK@ YAHOO. COM”

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget