Thursday, May 31, 2012

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker

Today, I welcome Melissa Walker to the blog! Her latest novel, UNBREAK MY HEART, just came out last week from Bloomsbury. She's here to shed more light on her book and her writing. So let's get started.


About UNBREAK MY HEART: The year that broke her heart. The summer that healed it. A dual love story. 

Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life.

Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart?


And now a little bit more insight to Melissa and her book.



The Twitter version: tell us about your book in 140 characters or less: (Is using the tagline by my brilliant editor cheating?) ((Um, maybe?)) The year that broke her heart. The summer that healed it. A dual love story. 


Have you always wanted to be a writer? I've always written, just for fun. When I found out people sometimes got paid for it? I was IN! 


What made you decide to go that “extra step” and seek publication? The desire to pay bills with the work I was doing, honestly. 


Quick! You’ve been chosen to go on Survivor. What luxury item do you take? A perfect pillow. I want to be well rested on the island. 


And the most important of all: bacon or chocolate? Chocolate-covered bacon.(Oooh, nice one.)


About Melissa: MELISSA WALKER is the author of Small Town Sinners, the Violet on the Runway series and Lovestruck Summer. She has worked as ELLEgirl Features Editor and Seventeen Prom Editor. Melissa manages I Heart Daily, an e-newsletter and blogs for ReaderGirlz, an online community for teens. A Chapel Hill, NC native, Melissa now lives in Brooklyn, NY. Find out more at www.melissacwalker.com.

20 comments:

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Wow, this sounds like a wonderful novel! I'm adding it to my TBR list right now and thank you for the lovely interview!

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm not that into romance, but I am into sail boats, so there's that.

Nick Wilford said...

Nice interview. I would like to pay bills doing this one day too... there aren't many jobs where people work so hard for so long for nothing! Good luck to Melissa with her books.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Great interview, Gals,

Just reading this makes me want to be on a sailboat. Sure I can't swim but that's what life preservers are for, right?

Sorry but I've gotta go and make some chocolate covered bacon. :)

Good luck Melissa on your sales.

Teresa

Kelly Hashway said...

I'm going to have the song "Unbreak My Heart" in my head all day now. LOL.

Congrats to Melissa!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Sounds like a great summer read.

Liesel K. Hill said...

I'm with Kelly: the second I saw the title of the book I started humming the song. Sounds like a great story, though. A great summer read, perhaps?

Julie Dao said...

Definitely the perfect book to curl up on the beach with while you're lounging on a perfect pillow eating bacon :)

Barbara Watson said...

The book sounds great, and I'll admit, I'm a bit jealous when people say they've always written. I didn't realize writing lived in me until I was 40.

Carol Kilgore said...

Perfect summer reading!

Angela Brown said...

I love the title. It immediately made me think of the Toni Braxton song, which is good because the pain-filled emotions of that song are probably ones the MC in this story feels with intensity. Love the premise and wish you much success with this novel, Melissa :-)

Talli Roland said...

Love the romantic cover, and I'm *so* with Melissa. I'd bring a pillow, too.

Alice said...

Fun interview.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a fun summer read. Perfect time for it to be released. Thanks for sharing about it.

Christine Rains said...

Love the blurb! Fun interview. And yes, chocolate covered bacon. Mmmm.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a great read! And I love the cover :)

UI would never have thought of a pillow - good choice!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Congrats and good luck, Melissa! Great interview -- and I'm not sure about that chocolate-covered bacon. My husband and kids had some at the boardwalk and thought it maybe went too far ...

mshatch said...

great interview; sounds like a fun book to bring to the beach, perhaps.

Carolyn V said...

Love the interview and the book sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...


I have this same problem. My husband and I were the perfect couple at first. We clicked right away and the chemistry was just crazy. But reality kicked in real soon and we started arguing a lot. Until now get into heavy arguments, where none of us is really listening and always out talk each other, until one day my husband left me it was like a dream, i beg and apologize for everything, he refuse for 1 year and 3 month, until i meet a man call doctor MACK online who is a great spell caster he cast a spell for me and told me that my husband will come back in 48 hours to beg me to come home, to my greatest surprise my husband come after 2 days of the spell and told me he is sorry, am so happy that i meet doctor MACK, if you need his help contact him on “DR_MACK@ YAHOO. COM”

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget