Thursday, June 23, 2011

HOURGLASS by Myra McEntire

Dude, today I'm featuring a young adult novel, HOURGLASS by Myra McEntire. I found this book to deliver something unique--time travel (or something very close to it)--in a genre where things are starting to blur together for me.


First, a little bit more about HOURGLASS: For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?


My favorite parts:
1. Emerson -- she's a great character. Convincingly complex and conflicted about who to believe and what she can do. She's also smart and resourceful when she needs to be. I liked that.

2. The setting. I must be like, a true Southerner at heart or something. All the books I read that are set in the south captivate me (SHADOWED SUMMER by Saundra Mitchell, for one). I thought Myra did a good job with the setting, describing it enough for those of us who haven't actually been there, but not overdoing it.

3. The romance. I think it's a pretty well-known fact that I like books with kissing. So yeah. HOURGLASS has some kissing, and it makes me very happy. Ha!

So add HOURGLASS to your list if you haven't picked up a copy yet. You won't be sorry.

What about you? Have you noticed a trend in the kind of books you like (Southern settings, anyone?)?

Check out what the other Bookanistas are up to this week at the Reading Room.

Or on their blogs:

18 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I really want to read this. I've heard such great things about it.

Cynthia Lee said...

Oh, I'll have to pick this one up. I'm a Southern girl myself and I have a weakness for books set there.

I think it hearkens back to when I was 14 and I stayed up all night reading Gone With the Wind.

Lizz said...

Seems worth looking into. Thanks!

Kelly Polark said...

So thrilled for Myra! And I can't wait to read this one!!
My trend lately is funny mg books.

Melanie said...

Sounds good! For me, the trend I find myself most attracted to in a story right now is romantic tension. I love not knowing for the whole story whether or not it's going to work out or happen for them and then at the end you get that big Awwwww moment. Gets me everytime! Oh, and I love anything where this is a thriller/mystery component where my brains is constantly trying to figure out the clues of who it is.

Matthew MacNish said...

Of all the covers that have lovely ladies doing interesting things that defy gravity in one way or another, this is my favorite.

Heather said...

This just came in the mail yesterday, I'm so excited! However, I'm still deep in the awesomeness that is POSSESSION and am loving it so I'm in no hurry to move on to another book just yet. ;)

Theresa Milstein said...

I began reading Hourglass this morning! I'm on page 57. I like the southern flavor in it too. I don't know about being attached to southern settings, but I LOVE the food.

By the way, I know the idea of using blood in Blood Magic made me uneasy, but I saw it in the store and couldn't resist!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I'm so in love with the cover! Can't wait to read it. :-)

Tracey Neithercott said...

I'm in the middle of Hourglass right now. So far I really like it. Actually, I'm dying to keep reading. Too bad this thing called work is getting in my way.

A Wildflower said...

Sounds like one I may want to add to my summer reading list!

Misha Gerrick said...

I'd love to read it. Love stories in interesting settings.

I also like stories that offer an interesting look at ghosts.

:-)

Carolyn Abiad said...

This is in my cart for the next splurge...but can I just say: I was in Barnes & Noble the other day and picked up this beautiful book called Possession. ;) Looks awesome on the shelf!

Krispy said...

I have a copy of this coming to me. I just wish it would get here!

Carol Riggs said...

Oh yeah, babeee! HOURGLASS is definitely on my TBR list. I adore the cover, too. Thanks for the run-down on it! Now I'm even more excited to read it. :)

Leslie S. Rose said...

I love the cover. I have southern roots so I am drawn to anything with that flavor - especially books that talk about southern food. All this and time travel too - I'm in. Thanks for the rec.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've got Hourglass on my wishlist! Can't wait to read it!

BBC said...

Sounds like a good one - putting it on the pile!

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget