Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bookanistas -- The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

This week for Bookanistas, I'm recommending THE ETERNAL ONES by Kirsten Miller. The concept of having a soul mate that spans centuries isn't uncommon (I've read a couple of books like this just this year alone).

But this book is. The way it's done shows a true storyteller. Let's break it down.

1. Characters. Haven is a small-town girl who's spirit is yearning to find her soul mate, Ethan. She doesn't remember anything, but she knows she's inexplicably drawn to him. She's got spunk and a uniqueness about her that made me feel like I was reading about someone I've never read about before. And that takes some talent.

Beau is Haven's best friend, and he is carefully crafted to avoid the typical stereotype as well. Besides Haven, he was my favorite character.

There are many other people that shape Haven's story, and each one of them is drawn in the same unique light as she is.

And that's refreshing.



2. What else I loved: the reincarnation aspect. I truly appreciate stories that don't feel like variants of other stories I've read, so while the themes of love spanning centuries isn't new, The Eternal Ones felt like it was.

I know I've said that like, twice now, but I don't know how else to say it. You've just got to read this book. It came out last Tuesday, so get your copy today.

Check out what else is up for Bookanista review this week:
Myra McEntire - WHITE CAT
Shelli Johannes Wells - PARANORMALCY
Christine Fonseca - THE HEALING SPELL
Shannon Messenger - NIGHTSHADE CITY
Carolina Valdez Miller - THE MOCKINGBIRDS
Jamie Harrington - PARANORMALCY
Lisa and Laura Roecker -- PARANORMALCY

20 comments:

Martina Boone said...

Thanks, Elana! This looks new and different. I think this was originally scheduled for next week, so I'm happy to know it's out now! Thanks so much.

Marissa

Natalie Aguirre said...

I've heard a lot about this book. I'm going to add it to my list. Thanks. Today I'm excited. I'm getting LINGER. Can't wait.

Golden Eagle said...

I read Miller's other books, and I loved them so this one definitely interests me!

Christine Fonseca said...

OOhhh...I totally want to read this.

Hannah said...

Awesome possum! Thanks for adding to my list...yet again.

Carolyn V. said...

Sweet! I'll have to check it out. =)

Matthew MacNish said...

Sounds awesome! Thanks Elana.

Bish Denham said...

Thanks Elana. It must be good read for you to like, repeat yourself!

Lindsay said...

Yay! I just bought this the other day. Can't wait to dive into it. :)

Robert Guthrie said...

Reincarnation always makes me smile.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like fresh characters - definitely worth a read :)

Zoe C. Courtman said...

DYING for fresh characters! Thanks - I'ma hafta pick this sucker up :D

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Oh, I love reincarnation stories!! I think the first time I read a story about this was Jude Deveraux's book--gosh, I can't even remember the name of it now--but it was a bazillion years ago, and I fell in love with the concept. Can't wait to get my hands on this one! Thanks for the fab review, Elana!

Shannon Messenger said...

This one is near the top of my stack--but it sounds like I need to move it up a notch. :)

Lisa_Gibson said...

I've definitely added to my tbr pile now. Thanks.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

lisa and laura said...

I can't wait to read this book!! I really need to figure out how to read faster...so many good books out there!

ali cross said...

Sweet! Thanks for the recommend E!

Sara B. Larson said...

I am just about to start this one. I'm curious about it since I've heard good things, and because I've read other books with the reincarnation thing too this year and sometimes it's hard to be "different" when there are lots of similar books out there. I also have My Name Is Memory that I really want to read and have on my shelf, but it's also about reincarnation so I'm curious how I'll like either or both of them since they have similar ideas. We'll see!

WritingNut said...

Sounds great! Thanks for recommending :)

Hilary Wagner said...

I have to say, the cover of this book had me at hello! Can't wait to dig in! :)

xoxo -- Hilary

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget