Friday, August 6, 2010

The Query Contest of Amazingness

(LiLa wrote this post. I have added some commentary for your amusement.) WriteOnCon is quickly approaching and we hope everyone is as excited as we are to dive in. We've have been completely blown away by all of the amazing content we've received from agents, editors and writers and we can't wait to share it with all of you! (I mean, seriously.)

In the meantime, one of our star panelists, über agent Joanna Volpe (squee!) of Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation, has generously offered to get this party started with a mega query critique contest. (Oh. My. Heck. I see "party" and "mega" and I'm there.)

Get. Excited. (Already am.)

Here's how it's going to work. (This is code for READ CAREFULLY.)

1. Joanna will select three queries to critique on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. We'll post her critiques on the WriteOnCon blog and the Coffey. Tea. And. Literary. blog. These lucky writers will have the chance to revise their query and resubmit it to be considered for the big prizes to come. (Revise and resubmit. Frawesome.)

2. On Thursday August 11th Joanna will select one of her favorite queries to win a ten page critique from both Joanna AND their amazing assistant, Sara. A double-eyed critique! (Holy brown cows. But I think this should be quadruple-eyed critique. Just sayin'.)

3. On Friday August 12th Joanna will select the grande prize winner who will send their query + 20 pages + 2-page synopsis. The lucky winner will get a query critique, a 20-page critique from Joanna AND Sara, and a 10 minute phone convo to discuss the whole sellability of the project and the direction it's going in, plus to answer any questions from the critique. (editorial note: I almost fell out of my chair when I read the description of this prize. AMAZING!) ((I have fallen off my chair. And now I can't get up.))

To enter:
1. Post your query in the WriteOnCon forums here (you can post throughout the conference, but post now if you want to be considered for ALL of the prizes!)

2. Follow the AMAZING Coffey. Tea. And Literary. blog.

Please e-mail writeoncon(at)gmail.com with any questions. Happy querying!

(Dude, you guys! Isn't that awesome?! I hope you know how hard we've been WriteOnConning for you all. This conference is gonna rawk the house!!)

Okay, so go. Post in the forum. And have a great weekend!

23 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

It's super awesome and very generous of Joanna Volpe to offer to do this. What a great start to the conference.

Anonymous said...

What a great beginning! Yay!

Robert Guthrie said...

I'm overwhelmed by awesomeness.

Miranda Hardy said...

I am so excited about the conference and this just adds to it's appeal.

Stina said...

Cool! Too bad I can't enter. Ellen Hopkins critted my first 15 pages at the LA SCBWI conference. The first thing she said was, "I want you to rewrite this to present tense." Her rationale (plus a few of my own) made sense. So I'm back in the revision cave. Good thing I hadn't started querying let (I chickened out in the end).

I'll be peeking out of the cave for WriteOnCon. Can't wait for it to start!!!

Matthew MacNish said...

Yep. This is pretty much incredible. Especially since Lady LiLa just helped me fix my query the other day. Yay!

Henya said...

I am speechless!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is all kinds of exciting!! Your conference is gonna be fantastic. Have a great time and a great weekend.

Bish Denham said...

Oh my! I'm falling into possibility and don't know what to do first! Yell, fain or get my finger joints oiled.

Erica Mitchell said...

Is it possible to have way to much fabulous in one post! WOW! Can't wait! How many of these can I use!!! ;) Have a super weekend

Jemi Fraser said...

Totally awesome - I'm so excited!!! Off I go :)

dolorah said...

Cool. Have a wonderful weekend Elana.

......dhole

storyqueen said...

Okay, so Joanna IS the best...I mean, not that there was a doubt or anything, but this pretty much confirms it.

Yay!!

Shelley

JEM said...

Pregunta for younta: When does the window close to be considered for all prizes? I know we can post throughout the conference, but you mentioned that we have to post now to be considered for all prizes. When does that "now" end?
This question is so existential.

Krispy said...

This is pretty awesome! I can't believe it's already almost time for Writeoncon! Craziness!

Anonymous said...

Don't think I can enter, got the last miniute feeling that I'm not ready yet. Argh! Polishing and polishing... not sure if I'd dare!
Thanks for the awesomeness of putting together such a wonderful conf!

Peggy said...

I'm with JEM. When do we have to have it posted to be considered?

Lisa_Gibson said...

Totally frawesome with a side of *squee*. How cool is this?! :)
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Elana Johnson said...

Peggy and JEM, I'd post like today or tomorrow. Or Sunday. Jo's going to then need time to crit them and get them to us to post. Does that help?

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Wow!! That is so amazing! I wish I could post. I thought I'd be ready, but I just feel it yet; plus the hubs vacation is next week and we're going away. I'm hoping to be able to peek in from time to time, though. I'll have to sneak...shh...

Kerri Cuev said...

Holy awesomeness and very nice of Joanna! Can't thank you enough for your hard work!

Angela said...

u r always doing such cool stuff!

Jan Markley said...

I'm got a pitch with Joanna at the Surrey International Writers Conference in October in British Columbia. Can't wait to meet her!

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget