Julie Wright asked: do you ever get like crazy jealous of other authors who "seem" to have it easy with publishing?
Short answer: heck yes.
Longer answer: heck yes I do! There are endless options for the Green to come. She got a better deal than I did. He only had to query for two weeks. Her pub is doing this, and this, AND THIS. He just sold movie rights. They only sent 25 queries? Are you serious??
She got this and I didn't.
He got that and I didn't.
They got XYZ and HOLY MOTHER OF UNFAIR-- I DIDN'T.
Yeah, I feel it. I don't like feeling it.
So what do I do?
A combination of things:
1. Shut down the Internet. Can't feel bad about what you don't know.
2. Work harder to make my next book better, my next blog post better, myself better.
3. Chat with people who won't hate me (much) for whining.
4. Eat a lot of sour patch kids.
5. Remind myself that I'm going to have a real, live, breathing, shiny book in just 6 months. And that's all I ever wanted.
I didn't want to be rich. I didn't want a movie. I didn't want everything.
I wanted to see my book sitting on the shelf at a bookstore.
And I will.
It wasn't easy, and yeah, I sometimes hate people who seem to have it easy (seriously, 25 queries??). But then I remember my journey, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
It's mine. And my long, painful, I-think-publishing-a-book-might-kill-me journey helped me become the writer I am. The blogger I am. And I like that person.
Let's hear your answer to Julie's question: do you ever get like crazy jealous of other authors who "seem" to have it easy with publishing?