Monday, January 5, 2015

Welcome to 2015! (Goodbye 2014!)

Okay, so I've been the worst blogger on the planet since about July. Maybe I made it to August. Ha! Anyway, I've decided to try to make a bit of a comeback in 2015. Sometimes I have things to say, and sometimes I don't.

I'm not really sure what the protocol is for goals and such, because I don't really make new goals in January. I constantly evaluate where I'm spending my time, and if it's the best use of it.

I also teach elementary school, and a lot of my goals begin in August. My "year" runs from August to June, and then I pretty much live a completely different life for the summer. Oh my heck! That's why I completely fell off the blogging bandwagon. *lightbulb moment*

But I do have some goals this year for my writing. I'll admit 2014 was a rough year for me. Heck, a lot of 2013 was too. Not personally. We're healthy for the most part. I have a teenager now, so that about sums that up.

But as far as my writing goes, I didn't write a single new word in any manuscript until October of last year. So for 10 months (TEN months!), I didn't do much. I was doing some self-publishing, which I love, so I rationalize that I was still working toward my goals.

And I think I was.

But I wasn't writing. And the writing is what I love.

So I started a new book in October. It was a project I liked, but I'm not super-passionate about. I've semi-abandoned it, but I think it might be something I come back to later.

In November, I began a new book, and it really took hold of me. In November and December, I wrote two books. Two whole books! Just over 100,000 words. In two months.

I found the love of writing again, and I realized that sometimes publishing sucks, but writing is always great.

So I've deviated from the whole goals portion of this. Anyway, I do have some self-publishing plans. I have some submission plans. But mostly I have writing plans, because those are the things I can actually control.

I have plans to write another novel-in-verse this year. Probably in February.

I have plans to write two more books that go with the two I wrote at the end of last year. I just started one a couple of days ago, and I'm going to write another in March.

I have plans to revise and edit in April.

I have plans to complete a "30 ideas in 30 days" challenge. This is where I write down a new idea for a new book everyday for 30 days. Sometimes they're terrible. But sometimes they're not (My self-published book SOMETHING ABOUT LOVE came from my 30 days file).

I think those plans will help me move forward in 2015. I know plans get derailed sometimes, but that's what I've got right now.

What plans do you have this year?

13 comments:

Angela Brown said...

Things have been an interesting up and down adventure in the blogosphere for a while. So I'm sure many understand where you're coming from, including myself.

You've got some great plans for 2015. I've got a few projects lined up that I hope to finish writing and another few I want to self-publish before the end of the year.

It's great for 2015 to be here and each day is a new chance for more adventure, fun and romance in the writing.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Two books in two months? That's amazing! And while still teaching?

I left teaching in June, but I'm afraid my productivity took a big hit at first. More time to write left me with too much pressure to write and a mixed-up head.

But I feel back on track now and ready to tackle 2015. Don't know if I can do what you did, though!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I wouldn't worry about not blogging in the summer. It gets incredibly quiet in blog land over the summer. I'm starting to blog way less than.

Sounds like you've been very productive even with the writing break. With my husband's death, working, and being swim captain mom, I got basically no writing done for the last year. I'm hoping once I find a new job now that I'm laid off that I'll have a bit more time for writing.

Jessie Humphries said...

I love how honest you are. Like a breath of fresh air. I love your guts, Elana Johnson. And I'm blown away that you can write that many words in that short of time! Much of 2014 was not writing time for me. But I've chalked it up to times and seasons. 2015 is definitely going to include WORDS!!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I am impressed with your tenacity and honesty and completely in awe of your 100k. 2014 kicked me around in lots of ways, so I too have big plans for 2015.

Christine Danek said...

Two books in two months?! That's awesome. I hope to find that love again. I haven't written anything in about a month. Lots of working things out in a novel I'm working on, so I'm rusty. I did write three pages today. I guess that's something. I hope to blog more too. I've been horrible in that department. I think you have a great start to the new year. Happy new year and cheers!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are finding your way back to writing. It is awesome to read your goals. I look forward to reading your new books.

Suzie F. said...

100,000 in 2 months? Wow! I'm impressed! I'm trying to get back to blogging, too. And I didn't write OR read from mid-August through December. Trying to get back to those, too. All the best to you in 2015!

Tammy Theriault said...

I love your 30ideas part!! It seems no matter what writing is your center. Can't get that self publishing or submissions with out it right??

Jemi Fraser said...

That's a lot of words in 2 months - it's so much fun when the words flow like that!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love your plan!! And I love when the love of writing vines back. My plans include writing three books this year. THREE!! That is huge for me! I have decided what they all are, and I can't wait to write them. I love that 30 ideas in 30 days idea. I remember hearing you talk about that before, and loving the idea then. I just forgot about it. I think I'm going to have to work that into my schedule--it is too awesome to pass up!

Liza said...

You may have changed how you do things, but you continue to give yourself challenges, and then complete them. That's a lot to be proud of...especially making the time to do what you love!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Happy 2015, Elana! It's nice to see you back. :-)

I launched 2 trad books this past year (past 4 months!) and 2 indie titles and have no trad books coming out in 2015 (Jan '16 is next one) so I'm actually a little relieved to be able to focus on just my WRITING this year. I have my Harper trilogy to finish and new ideas to create into proposals and several indie projects as well. I've probably set my goals too high (again, so what's new?) but fingers crossed I can do it.

Good luck to you, sweetie!

P.S. Love the 30/30 ideas plan, too. I think we're all stealing that idea!

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget