Friday, February 13, 2009

Blog Chainerificness - Life, What's With That?

So it's time for the blog chain again. Since I started last time, this round I get to go last. Phew. Being at the front of the chain causes me major stressage. Major. I'm a thinker...yeah, I almost typed that with a straight face! sengihnampakgigi

Okay, so Terri started this chain. She'll be doing a wrap-up in the next day or two. Abi posted before me. Terri thought her question was too close to mine, but I found it totally and completely and entirely different. So I'm gonna answer it.

Here's what she asked: Have you ever had anything cause you to step back from writing? If so, what was the cause and how long did it take you to get back into the swing of things? If not, do you have any advice for other writers about not letting life get in the way of writing?

That's like a lotta questions. Since I'm a baby stepper, I have to break it down.

So, have I ever had anything cause me to step back from writing? Well, I've only been at this for about a year, so "life" hasn't gotten in the way yet. The thing that gets in my way? Me, Myself and I.

And here's why I can blame everything on myself.

I have the posh life. I teach elementary school 20 hours a week. I have a three-day weekend every single weekend. I have nearly 3 months off in the summer, and a good 2 weeks at Christmas. On working days, I have the hours between 3-5 PM and 9-11 PM to write. Do I? Sometimes. I usually do pretty well at night after my kids have gone to bed. But after school? Um, yeah, I'm usually on the Internet. Doing research. Yeah...research. Or something.

So when I step back from writing it's because I've gotten in my own way. Deep, I know. I have to relax, forget about the rejections, get out of the Pool of Writing Funk, and just breathe. Let myself go. Write.

This can take a couple of minutes of stern self-lecturing. Or a day of IM-ing with my sister. Or a week of wallowing in the pool until my skin is all wrinkly and about to fall off. Or a trip to the virtual couch of my wiser and long-suffering writing buddies. The point, though, is that I always come back. Recently, I've realized that I don't have to be so gung-ho about writing. That I can have my own permission to relax. That it's okay to take a break. Writing will still be there. Waiting.

My advice for getting yourself back into writing? Um, just do it? Yeah, that sounds good. Or maybe because I'm worth it. Or maybe just keep going and going and going...

Okay, okay, enough slogans.



Happy Friday the 13th! Watch out for those black cats and ladders...oh, and cracks. Yeah, those are definitely dangerous. kenyit

10 comments:

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

Great post! Keep baby steppin' it, and you'll do fine.

And Friday the 13th? My 13-year-old is having a party tonight in honor of the event.

Nine eighth-graders at my house most of the evening? Lord help me!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I do have to agree those work hours sound great. What's especially nice is that you can give yourself permission to use one of those two-hours blocks for writing and the other for, well, life.

I think we're all our own worst enemies, though how we sabotage ourselves varies from person to person. I hope you can work on draining that funky pool; it doesn't sound like it's good for anything, even breeding mosquitos. :hug:

Mary Lindsey / Marissa Clarke said...

Yeah, so, um...I find myself doing that research too. :)

Michelle McLean said...

Oooo, giving yourself permission to relax??? Wow, that is just an awesome concept! I am so good at the guilt tripping myself thing, I never give myself permission....well, I mean, I relax all the time, often at the expense of my writing, but then I get on my own case, get going with the guilt, etc, etc :D

Hey! My verification is "elitte"...makes me think of you :D (minus a "t")

Anonymous said...

Hmm...research...my kinda research :)

Carolyn Kaufman | @CMKaufman said...

The "Because I'm worth it" just cracked me up. And I'm so glad you're remembering to relax sometimes!

Jennifer said...

Great blog. I'll be reading. Happy (late) Friday the 13th and Happy Valentine's Day!

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Excellent use of advertising slogans and symbols - especially the energizer bunny!

I hear ya on giving yourself permission to relax sometimes too. I just did that this past week and it was nice to have a night off for good behavior.

TerriRainer said...

"Just do it"! LOVE that one! Great post!!!
:) Terri

H. L. Dyer said...

I seriously heart you, Elana. You're a riot!

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget