Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Wish Death to this Blog Chain

Abi always gives a little precursor to what the blog chain is...I've never done that. So here's my best shot. A bunch of us writerly types from QueryTracker decided to form a chain. We called it a blog chain. We made a special place where we meet on RallyStorm. After much discussion, we decided that the topics would be chosen on a rotational basis (my turn is coming very soon, *gulp*) and everyone would blog about the same topic in an orderly manner.

So...to keep linkage in the chain: Sandra started the chain this time. As usual, Abi posted before me and Terri is up tomorrow.

Okay, so my (lack of) intelligence is really starting to show. When I read this topic, absolutely nothing came to mind. And this is supposed to be MINDLESS musings. Even that's really hard when there's just...nothing. Bear with me.

Anyway, here's the topic this go-round: What is the role of wish fulfillment in fiction? What personal wishes do you want your stories to fulfill? Are they the same ones you want to read about? How do our fictitious wishes affect our everyday wishes?

I'm going to really focus on the middle two questions: What personal wishes do you want your stories to fulfill? Are they the same ones you want to read about?

I posted about Why I Read and Why I Write here. For me, this is my wish fulfillment blog chain post four months early. Though I like my whole list, I'll elaborate a little bit on a couple of my favorites.

1. When I read, I want to escape my real life. This influences my writing greatly. I want to write stories that aren't real, but close. That provide an escape for me when I read them again, and hopefully to fulfill this wish in other readers who have this desire when they read. I don't mind realistic fiction, but it isn't my favorite. I want to get lost for a while. No dishes. No laundry. Portals. Magic. A cool power. If you have this wish when you read, we read the same stuff. It's what I write as well.

3. I want to experience my first kiss again. And again. And again. I love romance. I'm not a great writer of it, but I like writing young adult where there is a little romance, possibly a first-time romance. I don't think my first kiss like, changed my life or anything, but it's something you can never do "first" again. So I like reading and writing about the first kiss. Sweet, simple, romantic.

6. I want to have a cool super power that allows me to do cool things. Almost everything I read that I love involves a main character that can do something no one else can. Something that makes them special. Something that can save the day at the right time. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordian comes to mind. I mean, the guy's a half-blood. How awesome is that? I totally want to be a half-blood. Or someone who can hear someone else's thoughts. Or can control the wind. Use magic. See the future. Something kewl. So I write stories with characters who can do things I wish I could do.

I definitely read what I like to write. And I wish I could do what my characters can.

And now it's time to pass the torch to Terri. Check out her post, which will be up sometime tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elana-

You did a kewl job with a tough topic. I'm with ya, sister...give me a special power! Reading to escape is my type of reading and writing too. :)

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Who wouldn't want a special power? Though these days, I'm afraid I'd squander it on petty stuff like keeping the house clean. :sigh:

Michelle McLean said...

Excellent post! I'm with you too - I read to get away from mommy and wifey duties. I want to read about chivalrous, devastatingly handsome men, supernatural powers, and fantasy worlds. If I read about more real life stuff, I read historicals - real life only several hundred years ago...I have read regular, contemporary fiction, but it is way on the bottom of my list of preferences.

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Yes, reading to escape is the best! Even the best TV and movies cannot suck me in with the same power that a book can.

jess said...

ok i'll be analytical here... think of the most popular movies...

they have 2 main elements:

1. super power
2. romance

all the marvel comic movies have been WIDELY popular b/c of those 2 elements.

i think you hit the nail on the head: those are things people want to read about.

i also want to laugh. i love to read books that make me laugh.

TerriRainer said...

I'm with Sandra...if I had super powers, I would be the Laundry Goddess. All of my laundry would be washed, dried, folded and put away with the mere flick of a finger. Just think of the good I could do for my fellow man (okay, woman).

Elana, if you haven't read C.L. Wilson's Tairen Soul series, you need to. From what you said in your post, they would be right up your alley. Fabulous books and so well written.

:) Terri

H. L. Dyer said...

Elana, you rock! Great post!

I think you already have superpowers! :)

Carolyn Kaufman | @CMKaufman said...

I always think we are in the same writing boat, you and I, because we like the magical stuff and the romancey stuff together. (Your blog is one of my favorites to read because I relate so well to your posts.)

Mary Lindsey / Marissa Clarke said...

Love it, Elana. A girl after my own heart. Paranormal and fantasy all the way! Great post.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget