Monday, November 24, 2008

Being Thankful Day 5

Today, we're tackling the big one. This might be as political as you'll ever hear, er, read me.

I am thankful for freedom.

I'm working on a story right now where the people don't have much freedom. They have someone else telling them what to do all the time. How to think. Who to love, who to marry, where to live. Everything. I really think that is some major suckage.

So I'm glad I live in a country where I have freedom to make my own choices. Which color of car I'd like to drive. What to wear to work. How many kids to have. That I can vote for my government officials. All that jazz. Normally, I'm not a very sentimental person about this kind of stuff, but for some reason, I think it's important right now. We each are free to choose what we believe. What we'll say. What we'll do. And the decisions we make are important. To us, our families, our children, our country. I'm glad I have the freedom of speech, of religion, of driving too fast if I want to. Sure, there are consequences of that ($82 at the courthouse for my last infraction), but it was my choice.

There's nothing like being free. Of feeling free.

We should all be grateful for that.

4 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

Halleluia, sister. :)

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

I have never heard someone express gratitude for having the freedom to receive a traffic ticket. Usually it's more like $#%&$ traffic ticket!

Anonymous said...

Freedom IS worth the price! Thanks for being thankful. :)

Abi

Jenn said...

Free to Capitalize any Word you want to. Free to say 'suckage' and 'explainage'. :D

No, really, though. I love freedom too. Freedom rocks.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget