Thursday, December 22, 2011

EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton

Okay, so I've been waiting for months to talk about this book, and not only because Brodi Ashton lives here in Utah and is pretty much the Queen of Awesome. But because EVERNEATH has about a million things going for it.

Ready to dive in? Okay, let's go.

About the book: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her boyfriend—before she’s banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance—and the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s queen.


My take:
1. The cover. One word: Brilliant. I mean, how do you get better, really?

2. The writing. One word: Emotional. And this is exactly the type of writing/story I'm looking for. With deep feelings and a main character that is afraid, but strong, and vulnerable, but willing to act. Nikki is genuinely torn, and that makes for a greatly emotional piece of writing. Which just happens to be my style.

3. The concept. One word: Fantastic. I like the twist on the underworld and the enticing that went on to get Nikki there. I like that many things depend on her returning, and the things that will be left behind if/when she does return. It's all just something that combines together to feel fresh and new to me.

So yeah. I think with any book, we're always looking for a brilliant cover to suck us in, following by writing that's well-done, and a story concept that feels fresh. EVERNEATH delivers on all three.

So add it to your Christmas wish-list!

What do you look for in books?

15 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

I agree - that cover is awesome! I hadn't heard of this one yet - it's going on my wishlist! :)

Kelly Hashway said...

I can't wait to read this one!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for January to get this one!

Mary Gray said...

Yes, gorgeous cover. The synopsis was really well-written, too. I already feel sorry for Jack.

Christine Fonseca said...

Man I love that cover!

Mart Ramirez said...

Wow! LOVE the cover and LOVE the premise. I'm gonna have to put this on the list.

My TBR pile is getting way to big!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Any cover with flowing red wins in my book. I want a book that makes me keep thinking about the characters every time I think about the book. I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on this one.

Angela Brown said...

I love a great book cover. Everneath definitely has that. But then it has to have substance. It can't be flat. I don't care if it follows the rules or breaks the rules as long as the story telling is nice.

Heather said...

I may be a bit late, but I'm adding it! That is a stunning cover.

L.L. Muir said...

I won an ARC of this beauty.
The ending knocked me upside the heart. It's still ringing.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I loved this book (I have an ARC). I can't wait to see what comes next.

Kelly Bryson said...

So, this is not a sequel? It sounds like it could be. Interesting and I love emotional characters- they make me feel less crazy;) I'll definately read it. Thanks for the review, Elana!

Theresa Milstein said...

I haven't heard of this one. Thanks for the info.

I like the term Everneath and it makes an excellent title.

Unknown said...

EVERNEATH rocks. It's already my favorite 2012 book--and I got to read it in July. :)

Sarahbotbonkers said...

I've read this and I loved it too. It's one of my best reads this year.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget