Thursday, December 8, 2011

FURY by Elizabeth Miles

Okay, so I'm very excited to talk about today's book, FURY by Elizabeth Miles. Not only is the cover beautiful, but the story inside is too.

Let's examine in more detail.

About FURY: It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But all is not as it seems...

Em is thrilled that the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. And on the other side of town, Chase’s social life is unraveling and the stress of his home life is starting to take its toll. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel....And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. There are three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.


Things I liked:
1. The dual narration. See, I've just started writing in this format, and it's refreshing to read two narrators whose stories are entwined, but not the same. I think that's the true sign of good storytelling. I don't mind dual narrators, but they each need a purpose.

And Em and Chase, while in the same town and connected by some of the same friends, have a story that is uniquely theirs.

2. The fresh feel of the paranormal. Sometimes I feel like every YA paranormal romance I read is the same. Formulaic. Which is fine, and it works, but I like books that bend the norm.

FURY bends the norm. I purposely don't read the backs of books so I can authentically discover the story as the characters do. And I loved how things unfolded in FURY. Like, I knew there was something funky going on, but I didn't know what.

3. Dude, Elizabeth Miles WENT THERE. I'm not going to say where THERE is, because you should all buy and read this book to find out.

There is nothing I love more than an author who dares to do what the story requires, whether it be "acceptable" or not. And Miles wrote what the story required, and I love her for it.

So get FURY for yourself this Christmas. You won't be sorry.


Check out what the other Bookanistas are up to this week at the Reading Room.

Or on their blogs:

17 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

I hadn't heard of this one. I'll have to add it to my to read list.

And I love that cover.

Kelly Hashway said...

Great cover! I like dual POV. Ever since THE PIGMAN when I was in school, this format has been a favorite of mine. (Though I've never tried to write it.) And I love that the author went there. You have me wondering where there is of course, but I like to see authors who do what's right for the story.

Mart Ramirez said...

Cool cover. Thanks for the recommendation, Elana.

TirzahLaughs said...

This is also one of my favorite Goodread book covers. The color attracted me to it and I've been hovering over the Buy with 1 Click Button...:)

Tirz

Angela Brown said...

So the cover-lover that I am, I was immediately taken with the cover of this novel. The premise has a few things going so so it would be very interesting to see what will happen...because it's obvious it's something bad and someone has to pay.

Tere Kirkland said...

LOL, I immediately saw this cover and thought, "Another pretty girl in a pretty dress cover? Ugh." So I was hoping that someone would read it and tell me how good it is. I love to be proven wrong about books. :)

Thanks for the review, Elana!

Abby Fowers said...

Fabulous review! I think I will put it on my Christmas list! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Katy Upperman said...

"Dude, Elizabeth Miles WENT THERE." This ONE sentence from your review makes me want to buy this book! Thanks for the fantastic recommendation, Elana!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I gots to get me one of these, baby!! (poor grammar intentional) LOL. Want, want, want!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think you sold me on the "E.M. went there!" Because I'm a sucker for a little rebellion.

Heather said...

Dual narration is really growing on me too. I used to hate it but now I'm finding that if the author does a good job, then I actually really like it. I'll have to check Fury out!

ali cross said...

Great review! Thanks Elana!

Theresa Milstein said...

There's a book swap at work. The book was just sitting there last Friday. I snatched it. Now I'll move it to the top of the pile.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a great one! Daring writers amaze me! It's so hard to take those big risks :)

June G said...

Yeah. I agree. I read this one and it was definitely fresh! Love that cover. I was surprised to learn that this book is the product of a book developing company (I hope that's the right term) co-owned by Lauren Oliver (which is a pen name!), author of Delirium.

Even the author doesn't know how much the publisher paid for the series as she gets a certain fee. I think she's a friend of Oliver's. If the book sells big, she wants to renegotiate her contract! Ahh...this publishing world is full of surprises!

Leslie S. Rose said...

I felt the tension in the blurb. I have hair envy from the cover. Gotta read it.

Robert Guthrie said...

Double cheer for double narration well done.

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget