Monday, June 16, 2008

Writing Conference Goods and Bads

Status of my Life: Busy perfecting FREEBIES to send off. Probably tomorrow, then the real nail-biting begins. :)

I attended the first day of the Writers and Illustrators for Young Readers Workshop today. I met a friend I met at QT and we had a great afternoon. This is the third writing conference I've attended, and I'm going to compile a list of "goods" and "bads" about writing conferences.

Good: You feel inspired to be a better writer.

Bad: You have a list of no less than 10 new books to read - after the first day. The list grows with each session you attend.

Good: You get to talk to professional authors and editors.

Bad: Lunch is not provided. Dreyer's strawberry fruit bars are not available.

Good: You have time to reflect on what kind of writer you want to be.

Bad: The women's restroom always has a long line.

Good: No computer (at least for me) = no distractions from my thoughts and feelings on why I want to be an author.

Bad: You'll want to attend all the classes and have to choose which one you go to.

Good: You get to meet other aspiring authors, build a network of support, and really enjoy an afternoon with other fantastic writers!

Reading: LITTLE BROTHER by Cory Doctorow (2nd time!)

No comments:

See Elana's recent blog posts

Recent Posts Widget